Cinco de Mayo is usually a pretty celebrated holiday in these parts. We loove the food, the drinks, the atmosphere…its probably one of our favorites! My birthday has always been the 3rd, obviously, but somehow we always enjoyed both “holidays” with equal excitement! This year we have a military ball to go to on the 4th, (So much going on these next two months!) I love getting all gussied up, and hardly ever get the chance to do it, so I can’t wait for this weekend! I have a feeling cinco de mayo is probably going to be a tad more laid back this year.
I have been eating popcorn like it is going out.of.style. I seriously cannot get enough of it these days! I eat it on a nightly basis without fail. While plain ol’ salt and popcorn is a tried and true classic, sometimes I just need a little somethin’ somethin’ extra! Since mexican food is my favorite and tends to be my first choice, I figured we should try making Mexican Popcorn!
I made it a few times, a few different ways and this is the absolute best! The flavors are intense, zingy, and perfect! We were shoveling it into our faces. It’s slightly spicy but not extremely, it has a refreshing tang from the lime juice and zest, and it is totally the most perfect snack! It takes ten minutes to whip together, and it is incredible! I can’t stop making it or eating it!
Mexican Popcorn is a great snack for your Cinco de Mayo party, A little goes a long way! And honestly, this popcorn is good for any day..I don’t need an excuse to make it, neither do you..Do ittt! 😉
Spicy and refreshing..this mexican spice combo makes the perfect Mexican Popcorn!
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- In a small pan over medium-low heat, melt 2 Tablespoons of the Coconut oil.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, cayenne, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and lime juice.
- Stir to combine, reduce heat to low, and stir occasionally while you're preparing the popcorn.
- Heat up your stove-top popper with one tablespoon of the coconut oil, until fully melted.
- Pour in the popcorn and cook according to poppers instructions.
- Once you've poured your popcorn into a large bowl, pour over half of the spice mixture across the top, and toss, toss, toss.
- Pour the remaining spice mixture on top as well as the lime zest, and toss, toss again until best coated! enjoy!