Since the day I started going to Panera yearsss ago, I have always gotten the same thing. Always. No matter what, I have never strayed. The Pick-Two, Frontega Chicken Panini and the Apple Chicken Fuji Salad. (This is a great copycat of that salad!) Some may call me boring, mostly I just know what I like. I kinda do that at A LOT of local restaurants..once I find something that I love, I get the exact same thing every.single.time. Seriously, why mess with a good thing? If Im trying a new place, obviously Ill try a new dish, but at the local places, I get what I know I love!
I love this Panera Frontega Chicken Panini. Its so simple, yet so flavorful, and warm, gooey, melty, slightly spicy, a little bit creamy, crunchy on the outside. It is one of my all time favorite sandwiches. Ive been wanting to make it at home for awhile and I finally did. And Ill tell yah what, this comes pretty darn close to the Panera version. I think I like mine a little better, because I can stuff it with more yumminess!
This is such a fabulous panini. It makes a great lunch, or even a quick weeknight dinner. My hubby wanted to go back for another one if he wasn’t already so stuffed! He definitely approved! If you like the Panera version, you’ll love this! Now I want to go make one! Enjoy!
- 1/8 cup mayo
- 1/8 cup sour cream
- 1 chipotle in adobo, minced
- 5 fresh basil leaves, julienne
- 2 Focaccia Rolls
- Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 Tomato
- 4 slices red onion
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl mix together the mayo and sour cream.
- Stir in the chipotle pepper and basil. Set it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- To assemble the panini, slice the focaccia rolls in half, and brush the insides with olive oil.
- Heat a grill pan on medium heat, and place on the rolls, cut side down until they turn a nice gold brown.
- Smear on the chipotle spread to both sides and assemble starting with the mozzarella cheese, chicken, onion, and lastly the tomato.
- Top with the bread, and place a heavy pan on top or push down hard with a spatula until the mozzarella cheese is melty and gooey!
- Serve and enjoy!