Tender Pork, slow cooked in sliced apples, sticky BBQ sauce, and apple juice concentrate, broiled with melty cheese, and topped with an apple slaw..this sandwich is mouthwatering and messy…just how I like it!
My parents flew in last night! I’m so excited to have them here for another week! My brother has been here for a week, twice in the last month as well, it’s so great to see everyone. I don’t think we’ll be making it home for the holidays this year, so after this, we probably won’t get a chance to see anyone until next Spring, so I’m loving the constant flow of company!
Plus they’ll get to test out more of these fantastic apple recipes!
Speaking of…today I’m giving you some savory apple greatness! It cant be all sugar all the time, plus there are so many incredible ways to enjoy apples, as well as plenty of other fruit without it always being breakfast or dessert!
And you want to try this! It’s slow cooked all day, which is my most favorite way to enjoy pork, in apple juice concentrate, sticky bbq sauce, and real apple slices, then shredded and topped with your favorite cheese, I used Havarti, and a crisp and refreshing apple slaw…all apple, ALL amazing!
I made this when my brother was here, and he went back for a second, and I made HUGE ones! I pile them high, nobody likes bread without the goods! It’s sticky and mouthwatering and messy, and just the way a pulled pork sandwich should be!
They would also make great sliders! 😉 Whether you make this for dinner one night, or a game day…this is a must try dish this Fall!
Tender Pork, slow cooked in sliced apples, sticky BBQ sauce, and apple juice concentrate, broiled with melty cheese, and topped with an apple slaw..this sandwich is mouthwatering and messy...just how I like it!
- 3 pounds pork shoulder
- salt and pepper
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 12 ounce can 100% apple juice concentrate (in the frozen section!), thawed
- 16 ounces BBQ sauce (I used Stubbs-Sticky Sweet)
- Sliced Cheese (I used havarti)
- Bulkie Rolls or burger buns
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 4 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 4 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
- 2 apples, grated (makes about 2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, grated
- Pat you pork dry and sprinkle salt and pepper on it all the way around.
- In the base of you slow cooker, place the sliced apples and the yellow onion. Place the pork on top.
- Pour in the apple juice and BBQ sauce, kind of mixing it together around the pork. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- To make the slaw, in a large bowl, whisk together the greek yogurt, vinegar, honey, mustard, and salt and pepper. Add in the cabbage, grated apple, and carrot, and toss everything together to combine. Set in the fridge until ready to eat, toss occasionally if you're around.
- When the pork is done, reduce the heat to low, and transfer the pork to a cutting board and shred it.
- Add it back to the slow cooker, and mix around with the sauce.
- Preheat broiler. Line your rolls up on a baking sheet, and using tongs, pile on the pork, and lay down a slice of cheese. Pop them under the broiler until the cheese is melty.
- Transfer to plates and top with the slaw. Enjoy!