My little man is going to be one in only 2 1/2 months! I cannot believe how crazy fast time has gone by!! We started thinking about his first birthday party and I am SO excited!! Thanks to Pinterest there are so many creative projects, I can’t do just one! I’m ecstatic about this! Our only dilemma is the weekend he turns one we have a wedding to go to in Maryland…we’re thinking of having his party a week later..do people do that? He won’t know the difference, right?! ( I almost feel guilty doing that…damn momma guilt..)
In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, I made these delicious deep Green Velvet cupcakes with a wonderful cream cheese frosting and topped with a small hint of mint butter cream. They are so light and fluffy, perfect sweetness, and SO delicious! I found a red velvet recipe, turned it green, and its the BEST red velvet cupcake I have found to this date! Its amazing! Just the right hint of cocoa, not to sweet, and so wonderful!
I love St Patricks Day! We’ve always had a blast..lots of beer, good food, great friends, and green everywhere! My fiance is Irish, I don’t have an ounce in me, but It’s fun to be Irish for a day! 😉 These green cupcakes are a perfect addition to this years celebrations!
You can change up the color to whatever theme or holiday you’re going for! A few drops of food coloring and voila! This is definitely a keeper! I will use this as my red velvet recipe over and over! Try these out, they’re delicious!! xo
Green Velvet Creamcheese Cupcakes with Mint Buttercream
For the Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons liquid green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter, unsalted at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
For the Mint Butter Cream
- 4 Tablespoons butter, unsalted at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the eggs, canola oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla extract, and vinegar.
- Beat until smooth. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Divide evenly between liners, (an ice cream scoop works great for this).
- Bake for about 18 minutes, rotating halfway through, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about five minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting them.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla extract. Slowly add the confectioners sugar until incorporated and you reach desired consistency.
- Allow cream cheese frosting to set before topping with the buttermilk frosting.
- For the mint buttercream, cream together the butter, milk, and mint extract. Slowly incorporate the confectioners sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost as desired.
This delicious recipe brought to you by Fabtastic Eats!